Wearable Walking Assistance Robot Achieves International Safety Standard
－“ISO13482” Certification Obtained－
October 14, 2015
New Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organization (NEDO)
On October 14, Honda Motor Co., Ltd. obtained an international safety standard certification for the Honda Walking Assist Device, a device developed as part of a NEDO Project for Practical Applications of Service Robots*1. The certification under international safety standard to ensure the safety of personal care robots, ISO13482*2, was issued by the Japan Quality Assurance Organization (JQA)*3.
This certifies that the Honda Walking Assist Device meets international safety standards for wearable robots designed to assist users with gait training. The wider spread of its use is expected now the device has been certified.
Furthermore, Honda Motor Co., Ltd. plans to begin lease sales of the Honda Walking Assist Device to businesses starting in November 2015.
obtained the ISO13482 certification.
- *1 Project for Practical Applications of Service Robots
- A NEDO commissioned project that lasted from FY 2009 to FY 2013 for developing safety technology and safety verification methods for personal care robots. Honda Motor Co., Ltd. performed the research and development task “Development of Physical Assistance Robots Based on Safety Technology”. The results from the project have been integrated in Honda’s products.
- *2 International Safety Standard ISO13482
- ISO13482, “Robots and robotic devices — Safety requirements for personal care robots” specifies international safety standards regarding the safety of personal care robots. These standards were drafted mainly by members participating in the NEDO Project for Practical Applications of Service Robots and were officially issued on February 1, 2014.
- *3 Japan Quality Assurance Organization (JQA)
- JQA, established in 1957 (President: Noriaki Kobayashi; Location: Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo), is a Japanese third-party organization that performs ISO/JIS Mark certification issuance, testing and certification of electrical and electronic products, and calibration and verification of measuring instruments.
For more information, please contact:
Robot and Machinery System Technology Department
Contact Person: Kimura, Iida, Saito
Honda Motor Co., Ltd.
Corporate Communications Division, Product and Technology PR
Assistant Manager Ichikawa
Japan Quality Assurance Organization (JQA)
Planning Department, Public Relations Division
Contact Person: Saito, Hara