Solicitation Notice – Additional Certification of Venture Capital Firms to Partner in NEDO Technology-based Startup Support Program
March 7, 2016
|March 18, 2016||● Additional information:
-Explanation on Application Guideline
-A Letter of Intent for Investment [Form]
● Updated FAQ:
A new item is added(Q/A18).
- Program Title: NEDO Technology-based Startup Support Program
- Scheduled Solicitation Issuance Date: March 7 2016
・ Contact: Innovation Promotion Department
Tsukagoshi, Matsunaga, Hashizume
1. Program Description
The New Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organization (NEDO) is planning to issue an additional solicitation to award certifications to venture capital firms, seed accelerators and other venture investment companies (VCs*) that will participate in NEDO’s assistance program for technology-based startups and venture businesses in the seed stage (STSs**) as investment partners.
NEDO will prioritize applicants with high potentials to, upon certification, 1) contribute to building a venture capital ecosystem in Japan, especially through novel approaches (e.g. hands-on policies); and 2) strengthen the economy and develop international business channels by enhancing cooperation with global networks.
Applicants will join the current team of 12 Certified VCs. The same certification conditions apply to the new VCs (e.g., capability to make investments in STSs, intent to maintain hands-on involvement with STSs after investment, and setting up an operating base/branch in Japan). Teams comprised of multiple companies are also eligible to apply.
This is a solicitation notice to publicize the planned solicitation release. Interested parties are encouraged to refer to the solicitation documents for the final details once the solicitation is posted.
*VCs = Venture capital firms, seed accelerators and other venture investment companies
**STSs = Technology-based startups and venture businesses in the seed stage
(2) Program Duration
FY2016 - FY2018 (certification period)
(3) Proposal Deadline
March 28, 2016
【Reference: Synopsis of Planned Grant Program in which Certified VCs will Participate】
- Funding Amount: Up to 70 million yen for 2 years. NEDO will cover up to 85% of the total allowable cost.
- Allowable Costs: Expenses necessary for commercialization of the technology seeds (e.g., development of practical applications, business feasibility studies, etc.).
- Eligible entities: Research and development STSs in the seed stage that are working on commercialization of concrete technology seeds and plan to receive funding from Certified VCs. Funding amount from Certified VCs should be equal to 15% or more of the requested project funding amount specified in the proposal.
- Eligible technologies: All industrial technologies under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Economy, Trade, and Industry, e.g. Robotics, AI, electronics, IoT, clean-tech, materials, medical equipment, biotech, and aerospace. (excluding nuclear technology)
- Solicitation Issuance Date: To be determined.
2. Information Sessions
NEDO will hold information sessions covering the overview of the program and the solicitation, as well as contracting procedures and an explanation of the proposal documents, as described below. Attendance at an information session is not mandatory for those seeking to apply. Please note that information sessions will be conducted in Japanese.
NEDO will post the information session briefing materials and frequently asked questions on NEDO’s website at a later date.
If you plan on attending the information session, for the convenience of venue preparation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org via email with your name, affiliation, and contact information up until the day before the meeting.
○ HQs Information Session (at NEDO Headquarters)
Date and Time: Monday, March 14, 2016 14:00 - 16:00 (Registration opens at 13:30)
Location: New Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organization, 21st Floor Conference Room
Muza Kawasaki Central Tower, 21st Floor, 1310 Omiya-cho, Kawasaki City, Kanagawa 212-8554, Japan
*Please come directly to the 21st floor and follow the sign.
3. Application Procedures
Please download all necessary documents from the documents section at the very bottom of this page.