- NEDO is a national research and development agency that creates innovation by promoting technological development necessary for realization of a sustainable society.
- NEDO acts as an innovation accelerator to contribute to the resolution of social issues by developing and demonstrating high-risk innovative technologies having practical application.
■Addressing energy and global environmental problems
NEDO actively undertakes the development of new energy and energy conservation technologies. It also conducts research to verify technical results. Through these efforts, NEDO promotes greater utilization of new energy and improved energy conservation. NEDO also contributes to a stable energy supply and the resolution of global environmental problems by promoting the demonstration of new energy, energy conservation, and environmental technologies abroad based on knowledge obtained from domestic projects.
■Enhancing industrial technology
With the aim of raising the level of industrial technology, NEDO pursues research and development of advanced new technology. Drawing on its considerable management knowhow, NEDO carries out projects to explore future technology seeds as well as mid- to long-term projects that form the basis of industrial development. It also supports research related to practical application.
Positioning of NEDO as an Innovation Accelerator
In order to contribute to the resolution of social issues, NEDO formulates technology strategies and project plans and, as part of its project management, establishes project implementation frameworks by combining the capabilities of industry, academia, and government. NEDO also promotes technology development by carrying out, evaluating, and allocating funding to promising projects to accelerate the practical application of project results.
- Long-term Sunshine Project aimed at developing new energy technologies started
- Long-term Moonlight Project aimed at developing energy conservation technologies started
- New Energy Development Organization established
- Research and development on industrial technology added. Name changed to New Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organization (NEDO)
- New Sunshine Project started
- Integration with Coal Mine Damage Agency. Coal mine damage compensation program added
- Incorporated Administrative Agency New Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organization established under the Act on the New Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organization
- Kyoto Mechanisms Credit Acquisition Program added
- Transitional operations related to coal mine damage recovery completed
- Coal and geothermal operations transferred to Japan Oil, Gas and Metals National Corporation
- Technology Strategy Center established
- Status changed from incorporated administrative agency to national research and development agency
- Kyoto Mechanisms Credit Acquisition Program discontinued
- Green Innovation Fund Projects started
Welcome message from NEDO Chairman ISHIZUKA Hiroaki
NEDO’s FY2022 budget, broken down by operational activities and areas of focus
Technology Development Fields
Overviews of NEDO’s technology development activities in the fields of Energy Systems, Energy Conservation and Environment, Industrial Technology, and New Industry Creation and Discovery of Technology Seeds
Description of three initiatives based on NEDO’s fourth medium- to long-term plan to maximize results of its R&D activities
General information regarding NEDO’s purpose, budget, and other topics
Chart illustrating NEDO’s organizational structure
Contact and access information for NEDO offices in Japan
Contact and access information for NEDO representative offices outside Japan
Links to websites of organizations and government agencies whose work is related to NEDO’s mission
Last Updated : November 9, 2022