- NEDO is a national research and development agency that creates innovation by promoting technological development necessary for realization of a sustainable society.
- NEDO acts as an innovation accelerator to contribute to the resolution of social issues by developing and demonstrating high-risk innovative technologies having practical application.
■Addressing energy and global environmental problems
NEDO actively undertakes the development of new energy and energy conservation technologies. It also conducts research to verify technical results. Through these eff orts, NEDO promotes greater utilization of new energy and improved energy conservation. NEDO also contributes to a stable energy supply and the resolution of global environmental problems by promoting the demonstration of new energy, energy conservation, and environmental technologies abroad based on knowledge obtained from domestic projects.
■Enhancing industrial technology
With the aim of raising the level of industrial technology, NEDO pursues research and development of advanced new technology. Drawing on its considerable management knowhow, NEDO carries out projects to explore future technology seeds as well as mid- to long-term projects that form the basis of industrial development. It also supports research related to practical application.
Positioning of NEDO as an Innovation Accelerator
In order to contribute to the resolution of social issues, NEDO formulates technology strategies and project plans and, as part of its project management, establishes project implementation frameworks by combining the capabilities of industry, academia, and government. NEDO also promotes technology development by carrying out, evaluating, and allocating funding to promising projects to accelerate the practical application of project results.
History of NEDO
- Japan's long-term Sunshine Project to develop new energy technologies started
- Long-term Moonlight Project to develop energy conservation technologies started
- October 1980
- New Energy Development Organization established under the Law Concerning the Promotion of the Development and Introduction of Alternative Energy
- Alcohol production business activities transferred from the government
- October 1988
- Industrial technology research and development added; name changed to New Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organization
- New Sunshine Project started
- Coal Mine Damage Agency integrated; coal mine damage compensation program added
- Based on the abolition of the Alcohol Monopoly Law, alcohol sales operations added
- October 2003
- Incorporated Administrative Agency New Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organization established under the Act on the New Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organization
- Alcohol production and sales operations transferred to a special corporation; Kyoto Mechanism Credit Acquisition Program added
- Coal mine damage recovery transitional operation completed
- April 2015
- Redesignated and renamed National Research and Development Agency New Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organization to reflect the enforcement of a partial amendment of the Act on General Rules for Incorporated Administrative Agencies and the Act on the New Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organization
- Kyoto Mechanisms Credit Acquisition Program Discontinued
Technology Development Fields
Last Updated : July 31, 2020